Thursday 23 May 2013

Sharing Khef

I wrote this in an email to a friend and it's as good a window into my thoughts and feelings as I've been able to express so far. -

I just want to make and sell films. The main way I want to do this is by periodically releasing very short, but intriguing films and charging a small amount for the newest one, so the rest build interest. In other words, I won't release the first until I have a second in the bag to sell. I can give the first away, or sell merchandise at festivals to bring attention to the one behind the pay wall. Otherwise, I'd like to attach it to a magazine, newspaper or comic, since a monthly comic is what it's closest to in terms of pace. One 'scene' per episode, with a bit of a cliff-hanger. Think of the way Watchmen is broken up for example, and was originally released as a serial alongside other stories.
I don't know which of these, if any, will pan out, but even if they don't I will have made a new film, which is my goal more than anything else to begin with.

There's no losing along this road, and there's space for the romanticism that keeps me going.





No comments: